June 26, 2014
Kyiv Mohyla Academy students participate in a panel of experts on security and defense, including Glen Grant (moderator) and students of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Kyiv Taras Shevchenko University, the Diplomatic Academy and NGO representatives are part of a brainstorming and strategizing group on ways of overcoming the current crisis in the conflict areas of Eastern Ukraine. Their work includes three sections:
ONE – General tactics used against Ukraine in violation of international law and moral standards
- Involve civilians to maximize the effective and efficient achievement of objectives;
- Focus on the civilian population for a maximum impact on decisions and actions;
- Use bribery, propaganda and terror to encourage people to fight against their countrymen;
- Conduct operations in crowded areas, creating an immediate threat to the lives of the population including children.
TWO – Response of the Government of Ukraine
At all levels the government must be in agreement on strategy and action that reflect the following:
- The people and the Government of Ukraine jointly oppose criminal and aggressive actions of the Russian Federation that violate international law and the Constitution and laws of Ukraine;
- Illegally occupied territories and controlled by terrorists must be returned;
- Action by Ukraine’s government should support and complement international pressure and sanctions on the Russian Federation.
THREE – appropriate strategic actions to be implemented
- Restate Ukraine’s sovereignty and immutability of borders: Uniform application of law to all citizens; determine the conditions and roadmap for the restitution of Crimea as an autonomous, demilitarized, multi-region with renewed authority.
- Support the development of a single consolidating national identity, nationhood and a common vision of the future by involving public and private institutions, civil society, a national debate;
- Transform the police as a primary state law enforcement agency, through professionalism, transparency of operations to create public confidence;
- Create a safe environment for the population and establish security mechanisms;
- Establish equal justice in Eastern Ukraine and other parts of the country under one judicial system;
- Create the necessary capacity for protection of sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, without a conflict of interests among security services, police and ministry.
- Elaborate and implement regional policies of economic and social modernization in Eastern Ukraine, reform public administration; law enforcement.
- Provide support to the local population loyal to Ukraine, so that people don’t feel abandoned;
- Provide reliable and effective protection of land and sea borders between Ukraine, Russia and Belarus, which have effective border guards and border control; focus on creating the conditions under which Russia will perform and sign an agreement on the delimitation and demarcation of the state border;
- Establish a system to overcome the consequences of Russian state propaganda;
- Develop a positive, fair and objective image of Ukraine.
Read the article listed below (in Ukrainian):
Надзвичайна криза… Новітня стратегія оборони та безпеки